This blog post was originally published at e-con Systems’ website. It is reprinted here with the permission of e-con Systems.
e-con Systems has proven expertise in integrating our cameras into the NVIDIA platform, including Jetson Xavier NX / Nano / TX2 NX, Jetson AGX Xavier, Jetson AGX Orin, and NVIDIA Jetson Orin NX / NANO. Find out about how our cameras are integrated into the NVIDIA platform, their popular use cases, and how they empower you to solve retail challenges.
In the retail industry, there are numerous challenges, including security risks, inventory management, and enhancing the shopping experience. NVIDIA-powered cameras are helping to address these challenges by providing retailers with real-time data and insights. In addition, these cameras are being used to enhance store security, optimize store layout and staffing, etc.
So, by leveraging the power of the NVIDIA platform, retailers can better understand their customers while improving operations and ultimately providing a more satisfying shopping experience.
In this blog, let’s discover more about the role of e-con Systems’ cameras integrated into the NVIDIA platform, how they help solve some major retail challenges, and their most popular use cases.
A quick introduction to NVIDIA and e-con Systems’ cameras
NVIDIA has been involved in developing camera sensors for various applications, focusing on AI-powered edge computing and autonomous vehicles. One of their most notable releases is the Jetson Nano Developer Kit (released in 2019). This System-on-Module (processor) is designed for AI-powered edge computing applications like object recognition and autonomous shopping.
As you may already know, e-con Systems has proven expertise in integrating our cameras into the Nvidia platform. We support the entire NVIDIA Jetson family, including Jetson Xavier NX / Nano / TX2 NX, Jetson AGX Xavier, Jetson AGX Orin, and NVIDIA Jetson Orin NX / NANO. e-con Systems’ popular camera solutions come with advanced features, such as dedicated ISP, ultra-low-light performance, low noise, wide temperature range, LED flicker mitigation, bidirectional control, and long-distance transmission.
Benefits of using cameras powered by the NVIDIA platform
- They work seamlessly with their powerful GPUs, which are optimized for processing large amounts of data in real time. This allows for advanced image processing and analysis, making it possible for machines to “see” and understand their surroundings with greater accuracy and speed.
- They are capable of capturing high-quality data that can be used to train deep neural networks. So they can then be used for tasks such as object detection and recognition.
- They are designed to be low-power and compact, making them ideal for use in embedded vision applications. This is particularly important for applications such as smart trolleys and smart checkout systems.
- They are highly customizable, letting developers tailor them to specific applications and use cases. This flexibility makes it possible to create embedded vision solutions that are optimized for specific tasks and environments, providing better performance and reliability.
Major retail use cases of NVIDIA and e-con Systems
e-con Systems’ cameras, powered by the NVIDIA platform, are transforming smart checkout systems by enabling faster, more accurate, and more efficient checkout experiences for customers. Firstly, they can be used to enable contactless checkout, reducing the risk of transmission of infectious diseases. So, customers can avoid touching checkout equipment and interacting with cashiers, reducing the risk of transmission.
These smart checkout systems usually refer to a camera-enabled automated object detection system at the billing or checkout counter. They can operate autonomously with limited supervision from human staff – offering benefits like effective utilization of the retail staff, enhanced shopping experience, data insights on shopping patterns, and more. The integrated camera is equipped with smart algorithms to detect a wide variety of objects in a retail store.
NVIDIA cameras are changing the game for retailers by providing real-time insights into customer behavior and preferences through the use of smart trolleys. These trolleys equipped with cameras and sensors help identify products or the barcode on each item – enabling the customers to pay in the same cart. This can greatly reduce wait times and improve overall customer satisfaction.
Moreover, the data collected by these cameras can enable retailers to offer personalized product recommendations and promotions based on past purchases and interactions. This personalized approach can increase sales and customer loyalty.
Another significant advantage of NVIDIA cameras in smart trolleys is enhanced store security. The cameras can detect and track suspicious activity in real time, such as items being removed from trolleys without payment or abandoned trolleys blocking store aisles.
Other retail use cases include:
- Optimized store operations and improved inventory management: With real-time data on store traffic and product placement, retailers can make informed decisions about store layout, staffing, and inventory management, leading to more efficient operations and reduced costs.
- Personalized shopping experiences for customers: By analyzing customer behavior through imaging detail and preferences, retailers can offer personalized product recommendations and promotions. In turn, this leads to increased sales and customer satisfaction.
As the technology continues to evolve, it is likely that we will see even more innovative applications of NVIDIA-powered cameras in the retail industry.
NVIDIA and e-con Systems: An ongoing multi-year Elite partnership
NVIDIA and e-con Systems together have formed a one-stop ecosystem – providing USB, MIPI, GMSL, GigE, and FPD Link camera solutions across several industries and significantly reducing time-to-market. This multi-year Elite partnership started with Jetson Nano (40 TOPS) and continues strong with AGX Orin (100 TOPS).
If you are looking for an expert to help integrate NVIDIA cameras into your embedded vision products, please write to [email protected]. You can also check out our Camera Selector page to get a full view of e-con Systems’ camera portfolio.
Camera Solution Architect, e-con Systems