Photo by DeepMind on Unsplash
The rapid growth of the Internet of Things (IoT) has been fuelled by the falling cost of sensors, the proliferation of connected devices, and the advancement of artificial intelligence (AI). The IoT is the network of physical objects (vehicles, devices, buildings, etc.) embedded with sensors, software, electronics, and network connectivity that allows these objects to collect and exchange data. According to a recent report from McKinsey, the IoT could have a total economic impact of up to $12.6 trillion per year by 2030.
While the IoT is still in its infancy, the AIoT represents the next wave of the IoT, where AI is used to turn data into insights and actions. The AIoT has the potential to transform industries and society, and it is already starting to have an impact. This article will explore the principles of AIoT, its benefits, and current use.
The Internet of Things, or IoT, is a system of connected sensors and devices that can collect and exchange data. The data collected by these devices can be used to automate processes, improve efficiency, and make better decisions.
IoT devices are typically equipped with sensors that can detect various environmental conditions, such as temperature, light, and sound. These sensors can also track the location of devices and detect when they are being used. IoT devices can be connected to the internet using a variety of technologies, such as WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular data. It’s estimated there were 25 billion devices connected to the IoT in 2021.
IoT devices can be used to automate a variety of tasks. For example, a sensor that detects when a door is opened can be used to turn on the lights. Or a sensor that detects when a car is parked can be used to open the garage door automatically. IoT devices can also be used to collect data for analytics purposes. For example, a sensor that tracks the number of people who enter a store can be used to analyze customer traffic patterns.
AI plays a very important role in AIoT. Without AI, the IoT would simply be a bunch of devices connected to the internet and collecting data. However, artificial intelligence can make sense of all this data and turn it into useful information.
Let’s use the example of a smart home to explain this further.
Say you have a connected thermostat in your home. This thermostat collects data about the temperature in your home over time. However, it is the AI that can take this data and use it to improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system. The AI can do this by constantly learning and improving its algorithms by trial and error.
For example, if the AI notices that the temperature in your home is too cold, it will adjust the settings of your heating system accordingly. The AI will also consider other factors, such as the weather and time of day. This allows the AI to constantly optimize the performance of your heating and cooling system, saving you money in the process.
The AIoT is still in its early stages but has already begun to transform how we live and work.
General Benefits of the AIoT
The benefits of the AIoT are many and varied:
- In the home, AIoT-enabled devices can control the temperature, turn on the lights, and open the door.
- In the workplace, AIoT can monitor employee productivity, safety, and compliance with regulations.
- For consumers, the AIoT can make life easier and more convenient.
- For society as a whole, the AIoT can help us better manage our resources and protect the environment.
As the technology matures, we can expect to see even more amazing and transformative applications of the AIoT in our homes, workplaces, and communities.
Benefits of AIoT for Businesses
AIoT is a growing field with many potential benefits. Businesses that adopt AIoT can improve their efficiency, decision-making, customization, and safety. Let’s look at the benefits for businesses in detail:
- Increased efficiency: By combining AI with IoT, businesses can automate tasks and processes that would otherwise be performed manually. This can free up employees to focus on more important tasks and increase overall productivity.
- Improved decision-making: By collecting data from various sources and using AI to analyze it, businesses can gain insights they wouldn’t otherwise have. It can help businesses make more informed decisions, from product development to marketing.
- Greater customization: Businesses can create customized products and services tailored to their customers’ needs and preferences using data collected from IoT devices. This can lead to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Reduced costs: Businesses can reduce their labor costs by automating tasks and processes. Additionally, AIoT can help businesses reduce their energy costs by optimizing their use of resources.
- Increased safety: By monitoring conditions and using AI to identify potential hazards, businesses can take steps to prevent accidents and injuries.
Industry-Specific Benefits of the AIoT
AIoT has the potential to transform industries and create new business opportunities:
- In the healthcare industry, AIoT can be used to monitor patient health, predict disease outbreaks, and improve the effectiveness of treatments.
- AIoT can be used in the manufacturing industry to optimize production lines, reduce waste, and improve quality control.
- In the retail industry, AIoT can help personalize shopping experiences, improve customer service, and prevent fraud.
AIoT is already being used in several ways in the world today.
One way the AIoT is being used is in smart homes. Devices in the home, such as thermostats, lights, and security cameras, can be connected to the internet and controlled using a smartphone or other device. AI can be used to automate some of these tasks, such as turning the lights off or the heat down when no one is home.
Another way AIoT is being used is in self-driving cars. Artificial intelligence processes the data from the sensors in the car, such as the camera, radar, and lidar, to navigate the car. The car can also be connected to the internet, allowing it to receive traffic and road conditions updates.
The AIoT is also being used in healthcare. It is estimated that over 30% of all IoT devices will be dedicated to the healthcare division within the next seven years. AI can be used to:
- Process medical images, such as X-rays and MRIs, to diagnose diseases
- Keep track of a patient’s health data, such as their heart rate and blood pressure, and alert doctors if there are any changes
- Provide patients with information and support
- Help develop new drugs
One of the most promising applications for AIoT is in the area of smart cities. Smart city projects are already underway worldwide, and AIoT is expected to play a major role in these projects. AIoT can be used to help manage traffic congestion, optimize energy use, and improve public safety.
The Artificial Intelligence of Things is useful for wearable technology because it can help track and predict the user’s needs and preferences. For example, if a user is wearing a smartwatch, the AIoT can learn the user’s daily routines and suggest different activities that the user might enjoy. Additionally, AIoT can help improve the overall efficiency of wearable technology.
The Artificial Intelligence of Things can be used in many ways to make our lives easier. From controlling the temperature in our homes to providing us with directions, AIoT is slowly becoming integrated into our everyday lives. While there are some concerns about privacy and security, the potential benefits of the AI of Things seem to outweigh the risks. As we become more reliant on technology, AIoT will likely play an even bigger role in our lives in the future.
Nahla Davies is a software developer and tech writer. Before devoting her work full time to technical writing, she managed — among other intriguing things — to serve as a lead programmer at an Inc. 5,000 experiential branding organization whose clients include Samsung, Time Warner, Netflix, and Sony.